All information disclosed within the counseling session is confidential and may not be revealed without your written permission, except for the purpose of supervision. Mississippi Code Annotated, section 13-1-22 reads as follows:
Confidentiality of Priest-Penitent Communications
- As used in this section:
- A “clergyman” is a minister, priest, rabbi, or other similar functionary of a church, religious organization, or religious denomination.
- A communication is “confidential” if made privately and not intended for further disclosure except in furtherance of the purpose of the communication.
- A person has a privilege to refuse to disclose and to prevent another from disclosing a confidential communication by the person to a clergyman in his professional character as spiritual advisor.
- The privilege may be claimed by the person, by his guardian or conservator, or by his personal representative if he is deceased. The clergyman shall claim the privilege on behalf of the person unless the privilege is waived.
- A clergyman’s secretary, stenographer or clerk shall not be examined without the consent of the clergyman concerning any fact, the knowledge of which was acquired in such capacity.
All DCC counselors are required by law to disclose information revealed in counseling sessions under the following circumstances:
- When a client intends to take harmful, dangerous, or criminal action against themselves or another individual.
- When a client or their family is likely to suffer threats, or the results of harmful behavior.
- Where there is a reasonable suspicion of the abuse of elderly persons or children under the age of eighteen.
Note: This file is the property of DCC, and will not be released from this office.
By clicking the “I Agree” button below, I affirm that I have read and accept the terms of my limits of confidentiality. I understand that disclosing the above-mentioned information within a counseling session releases the DCC representative from confidentiality under State and Federal laws.
[pdb_record groups=”limits_of_confidentiality” action=”book-an-appointment”]